By Peter Lilley
Were you aware that...
• In 2001 a playing site was once hacked in order that in a couple of hours one hundred forty gamblers received a complete of $1.9 million?
• the affection computer virus virus fee $8.7 billion globally in misplaced productiveness and clean-up costs?
• a number of organizations have suffered critical reputational and monetary results as a result of fake information regarding them being e-mailed to hundreds of thousands of recipients?
• significant web pages are being rendered inaccessible by way of denial of provider attacks?
• In 1986 there has been just one recorded malicious program; now there are over 50,000 and that quantity continues to be growing?
• A Texas professor started to obtain loss of life threats simply because anyone had "stolen" his email deal with and despatched 20,000 racist messages from it?
• Innumerable company and nationwide networks were hacked into, together with Microsoft, NASA, and the Korean Atomic study Institute?
• millions of blameless contributors have had their identities "stolen" on-line and used fraudulently?
Digital crime has grown fast as company has develop into extra reliant on electronic media. "Hacker assaults" and net viruses proliferate. but many companies stay blind to simply what the dangers are. this is an research into these kinds of threat parts followed via a non-technical assessment of the general challenge. Lilley illustrates his account with genuine lifestyles examples of digital crime and likewise gives you particular, sensible recommendation on the right way to determine and forestall it.
Risks mentioned contain: prepared electronic crime; cyber laundering; fraudulent web sites; hacking and cracking; viruses; web site defacement; unauthorized disclosure of personal details; the fraudulent points of digital money; identification robbery; details battle; denial of provider assaults the place structures are inaccessible to valid clients; invasion of electronic privateness.